Monday, February 3, 2014

Thing Eighteen: Education

I am set up with DuoLingo to have 5 minutes of Spanish lessons per day. They make it fun. Near the end of  each lesson, you speak phrases into the mike and they print the translation on the screen to see if you passed. The word for "woman" mujer seems to have a funny roll of the tongue or something that my Scandinavian-ness is having trouble with.

Next on the agenda, I downloaded iTranslate. We have a very large local population of Hispanics and many know little English, certainly not enough to talk library lingo (checkout, checkin, interlibrary loan, MnLink) :) This one is real difficult: "You returned an empty DVD case. Check your player for the DVD." Try explaining that one over the phone. This will be great when there is no one around to translate for the two of us.

You can bookmark phrases or sentences, so I began typing in commonly used sentences. The Spanish woman who speaks the translation says the word Minnesota kind of like a Minnesotan. :)

Curiousity got me to get the Ted Talk app. I had heard of them while reading Sheryl Sandberg's book, and now I can check out a variety of talks whenever I want. This seems like a good activity when travelling and I am not the driver. Or to go to sleep to. TED has a great list of tags, making it easy to identify what I really want to hear.

Great job, 23Things, on selecting a variety of educational apps to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment